Friday 30 May 2008

Bumble Bee in jam jar ?

Due to our current financial state (flat broke!) I am having to work when and where I can - currently in a Pub - more of which another time. But the main thing is, I cannot at present, afford to run "Big Ange", the Range Rover. So to get to work I bought a little 50cc scooter. Very sophisticated these days. Electric start, disc brakes, properly working indicators, brake lights on both brakes etc., etc. It did about 100kms to the 5 ltr (not quite sure what that is in old money) but quite a bit ! About 70 kph or 45 mph and sounded like a "bumble bee in a jam jar" or infuriated wasp ! The only problem is that to get to work I have to go down the main A40 - not too bad on the dual carriageway Witney Bypass - but as you approach Eynsham it goes into single carriageway. When I used to ride motorbikes I last had a 750cc which went like "greased weasel s**t"So I was not used to having 38 ton lorries right up me chuff - then overtaking so close that I was thrown about in the displaced air !! So it had to go - I now have a 200cc "Joy ride" scooter - which feels a lot safer. Have only just filled it for the first time (it is also a 4 stroke rather than a 2 stroke - so no messing about with separate oil etc) also water cooled so does not overheat in traffic) so not sure how many kms to the ltr etc., but interestingly it cost no more to insure than the little one ? - I ran out of street cred years ago but at least it is much quieter than the "Bumble bee!!"
cheers
mog

No comments: